Tuesday, December 23, 2008

singing and other lost talents...

Over Christmas we went to a Musical Christmas Evening in my parent's ward. It was wonderful. Everyone that performed were extremely talented musician's and it was just inspiring to hear such beautiful music. At the end they have a tradition of having a sing-along with the audience of the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. I loved standing up and feeling the power of joining my voice with such a large group and feeling the vibrations of the organ coming up through my toes and singing with my full voice, something I don't do very often unless I'm calling for my kids (I sing for them to come, yes it is still lazier than going to get them but sounds better than screaming across the house). It reminded me of choir camp back in High School when I sang Mozart's Requiem with a full choir and symphony, so powerful.

It got me thinking about the things I used to love to do or feel passionate about that don't seem to have much of a place in my life. I think it happens to all of us, we find new hobbies that fit in with our current lifestyle. But sometimes I miss the things I was so involved in before. I think I also have the problem of wanting to do so many things and I can't do them all. I love what I do now, I love homeschooling my kids (which is my number one activity now and will be for as long as I can), scrapbooking and I still play the piano. I just wish sometimes I could do it all.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I think as a New Year resolution, I will encourage (read "make) you go to ward choir...I love you hear you make music (singing and playing the piano...I don't recall you ever "singing" to call the kids). Love the page.

Unknown said...

You need to add this website to your facebook profile so your friends can see it.

Joella said...

Well said, I think all women lose some of what they are to become mothers! :)

TxFrUeAnZ said...

I feel the same way you do! Here they have an annual Christmas concert and a member from one of the wards gets everyone together. We do an 4 week intensive to learn music that sometimes is still being written and then we sing with the New Zealand Orchestra! It's an amazing feeling! I miss it too.

emily said...

Funny you should blog about this. I have been totally missing singing in a choir lately. I've been tempted to find a community choir I could join. I hosted a little Christmas singing party at my house this year and it only fueled the fire...

Good luck in finding time to fit in those little parts of what we used to be. I think it's still important. :)

Anna M said...

I sing to call the kids or to stop myself from starting to yell. So many good things so little time: I feel the same.

Margie and Mark said...

Amen to all those things about missing our lost talents and hobbies/pastimes. It really is difficult to balance all that we want and need to do! There is hope, though, right?

Ginny said...

My favorite part of the evening was sitting beside you and hearing you sing. I always wanted a child who could sing beautifully. The problem is that they grow up and take their voice with them when they leave home. I don't get to hear it often enough.