Thursday, April 9, 2009

faith is like a little seed

I love having a garden. Sometimes I like the idea of a garden more than the daily watering/weeding/harvesting that it entails but I spend a lot of time planning and dreaming up what I want to plant in my little plot of earth. This year I have planned my biggest garden. Our house here has a huge garden shaped like an E and last year I only planted one section of it. This year I really wanted to fill it up. I got this great California organic seed catalogue and decided to try starting my garden from seeds for the first time. I have to say sticking these little seeds in the dirt I started panicking that I had just wasted a lot of money on seeds. I was really nervous that my little seeds would be duds and not sprout at all...


But they did! I just love to look at them. And hopefully thanks to the fact that my garden has automatic sprinklers installed they will continue to grow.

In my veggie garden I've got 5 different kinds of tomatoes, 4 different kinds of cherry tomatoes, crookneck squash, zucchini, watermelon, cantaloupe, edamame, rhubarb, scallions, 5 kinds of peppers, 3 kinds of cucumbers, pumpkins, celery, breadseed poppies, strawberry spinach and sunflowers.

I also planted a cutting flower garden with sweet pea, zinnia, cosmo, giant poppies, calendula, amaranth and a hummingbird mix.

4 comments:

Joella said...

Fabulous! Eric bought some seeds this year. We're hoping to plant them soon, but the weather just keeps surprising us with random snow & frost so we're waiting until that stops!

Joella

Elena said...

Wow! I'm impressed. It must be warmer in your neck of the woods than it is here in Utah. Enjoy watching those babies grow. What do you can?

Anna M said...

Well said. I like the idea of a garden much more than the regular weeding and watering. Thankfully it still grows even when I am a little neglectful.

Margie and Mark said...

I can just see you out in the garden with a baby in a sling and the other kiddies pulling weeds and vegetables!! Ahh, heartwarming thoughts :) We loved our NorCal garden, too, and thanks to good weather, it wasn't too hard . . . just lots watering. Sprinklers are good.